Five for Friday 1.13.17
1. What to expect at work in 2017
The Washington Post predicts the death of the annual pay raise, perks and benefits aimed at millennials, and softening attitudes toward pot, among other things.
2. When Robots Take All of Our Jobs, Remember the Luddites
“What a 19th-century rebellion against automation can teach us about the coming war in the job market”. A little historical fear mongering by Smithsonian magazine.
3. Budgets, Performance Reviews Make Workplaces Ripe for Hostility
It’s that time of year again. Tips on keeping everyone calm, cool and collected from SHRM.
4. Think Strategically About Your Career Development
A public service announcement for all the HR people out there: while you’re taking care of everyone else, don’t forget to take care of yourself! HBR reminds us to pay attention to our own development.
5. A Volatile World Needs Skills in Managing Dilemmas, Not Solving Problems
A couple of really interesting concepts in this podcast. First, in a volatile world leaders needs to be clear where they are going, but flexible in how they get there. Second, we are in an age of increasing dilemmas, a dilemma being a problem that can’t be solved, so you have to find a way to live with it.